Hoverboard Sparked Maryland House Fire: Officials - NBC 6 South Florida
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Hoverboard Sparked Maryland House Fire: Officials

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Hoverboard Sparked Maryland House Fire: Officials
    Prince Frederick Volunteer Fire Department

    A hoverboard sparked a house fire early Wednesday morning in Calvert County, Maryland, fire officials said.

    Fire alarms alerted a family about an early-morning fire at their home in the 2000 block of Mount Pleasant Way in Prince Frederick, according to a release from the Prince Frederick Volunteer Fire Department.

    Crews arrived to find visible smoke and a small fire in the basement of the house.

    After putting out the fire, firefighters found "a serious issue" with a hoverboard inside the residence, officials said. They later determined the hoverboard caught fire while charging.

    Raqqa's Devastation Shows Entire Neighborhoods Destroyed

    [NATL] Raqqa's Devastation Shows Entire Neighborhoods Destroyed

    Shells of buildings, concrete slabs littering dust-choked streets and destroyed cars are all that is left of whole neighborhoods in Raqqa, Syria, after weeks of fighting and bombings between Islamic State militants and the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces, backed by the U.S.

    (Published Friday, Oct. 20, 2017)

    No one was injured.

    In a press release, the fire department shared tips for hoverboard safety from the National Fire Protection Association, available online here (PDF)