Photos and VideosMore Photos and Videos
Miami Dolphin Jonathan Martin said Friday that he looks forward to resuming his career in the National Football League, but said that he does not intend to publicly discuss the NFL's investigation of his experience as a Dolphins player.
The independent investigator who is looking into the alleged harassment inside the Miami Dolphins locker room says the team is fully cooperating with his investigation.
"We look forward to meeting with Dolphins players, coaches and staff in order to get the facts and prepare a thorough and fair report. The Dolphins organization has been very helpful in arranging the interviews and urging their personnel to cooperate with the investigation," investigator Ted Wells said in a statement Monday. "We have asked all Dolphins personnel to respect the process and avoid commenting on the investigation."
Martin, an offensive tackle, abruptly left the team last month. Allegations later surfaced that Incognito, Martin's teammate of the offensive line, sent Martin racist and threatening text messages.
The Dolphins suspended Incognito indefinitely for conduct detrimental to the team on Nov. 3. Incognito has since filed a grievance against the team over the suspension, NBC News reported.
Martin met with Wells Friday in New York as part of the investigation, and gave a prepared statement to the media after the meeting.
"Although I went into great detail with Mr. Ted Wells and his team, I do not intend to discuss this matter publicly at this time. I do, however, look forward to speaking directly with Stephen Ross, Tom Garfinkel and the Dolphins organization at the appropriate time," Martin said. "This is the right way to handle the matter. Beyond that I look forward to working through the process and resuming my career in the National Football League.”
Wells is expected to meet with more players and team personnel this week. Offensive coordinator Mike Sherman said he expects most of the players will be interviewed Monday. He said his interview was scheduled for Tuesday.
During a news conference Monday, Head Coach Joe Philbin said the interviews won't disrupt practice.
"They are in charge of the review process, I believe they have released a statement," Philbin said of the NFL investigation. "As we said from day one, we are going to fully cooperate."
Incognito might not be the only person whose actions will fall under his scrutiny. ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Sunday morning that the NFL has received tips implicating other members of the Dolphins in harassment.
Dolphins owner Stephen Ross has set up a special committee to create a new code of conduct for the organization in response to the scandal.
"I know that we will come out of this as a better organization," Ross said last week.
More NBC6.com Stories: