Residents living near 80th Street and North Bay Shore Drive in Miami got a rude awakening Tuesday morning when police responded to a report of a man assaulting a woman.
Olive John lives in the area and says a police officer told her they were looking for someone.
"I decided to go inside because I see policeman, I see guns and I said, I'm going inside," John says.
After a brief search, officers came across a naked suspect dangling from a fence, feet in the air.
The suspect had apparently tried to hop over the fence in an effort to allude police but ended up impaling his leg on the iron gate.
A neighbor, who prefers not to be identified says officers woke him up asking that he move his car.
"They came to my door at three in the morning like nine police, eight police, bam, bam, bam," he says.
Police were trying to clear the area to make room for paramedics. Then, as officers covered up the man with a yellow tarp, rescue crews cut the fence in order to free the suspect.
That suspect was then placed on a stretcher and taken via ambulance to Jackson Memorial Hospital to be treated for his injuries. Once he is released from the hospital he will likely face charges.
More on NBC6.com:
- 2 Arrests Made in Death of Bullied Florida Girl
- Bail Hearing for Husband in Alleged South Miami Facebook Killing
- PHOTOS: World's Costliest Heists
- Woman Arrested After Telling Police She Had a Tampon, Not Drugs: Cops
- PHOTOS: The Craziest Food Heists
- Woman Left Hanging From Fort Lauderdale Bridge Could Be Charged: Railroad
- PHOTOS: Unbelievable Animal Stories