DCF: Parkland Shooting Suspect Was Receiving Treatment, Medication When Probe Closed - NBC 6 South Florida
The Team 6 Investigators are Everywhere

SEND TIPS954-424-0939

DCF: Parkland Shooting Suspect Was Receiving Treatment, Medication When Probe Closed

The investigation was opened in September of 2016 after concerns Cruz was cutting his arms and posting about it on Snapchat

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    A Look Into Parkland School Shooting Suspect's Past

    NBC 6's Jamie Guirola reports on the Florida Department of Children and Families' latest details on its 2016 investigation into the accused gunman's past.

    (Published Tuesday, Feb. 20, 2018)

    The Florida Department of Children and Families released further details after a judge granted an order to unseal a confidential report into Parkland school shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz’s past that details him cutting his arms on social media and stating his intention to buy a gun.

    DCF released the details Monday night. The agency said its Adult Protective Services division was called on Sept. 28, 2016, to investigate allegations that he was being victimized by his mother.

    DCF said it found "no indicators of abuse or neglect as alleged" after an investigation involving mental health counselors, school personnel and law enforcement who had contact with Cruz.

    The department also said that Henderson Behavioral Health, an independent organization, told DCF that Cruz was receiving mental health treatment services and that he was taking medication.

    DCF Releasing New Details on School Shooting Suspect

    [MI] DCF Releasing New Details on School Shooting Suspect

    The Florida Department of Children and Families is releasing new details from a 2016 report on Nikolas Cruz, the teen accused of killing 17 in a shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland. NBC 6's Dan Krauth reports.

    (Published Monday, Feb. 19, 2018)

    DCF said it they received reports that Cruz did not own a firearm at the time, adding that Cruz lived with his mother and regularly attended school.

    “DCF is absolutely heartbroken and disgusted by last week’s tragedy at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Once we learned that the shooter had involvement with the agency in 2016, we immediately began the process of asking a court to release these records detailing DCF’s only involvement with this person. We also conducted a thorough review to confirm that all processes and procedures were followed. In these investigations, DCF relies on the expertise of mental health professionals and law enforcement and these records show that DCF took the steps to involve these partners in investigating this alleged abuse. Cruz was receiving mental health services before, during, and after our investigation was closed, he was living with his mother, and attending school. Our focus will continue to be on working with our partners to best serve Florida’s communities.”

    DCF emphasized that the investigation it carried out was "the only direct interaction DCF had with this individual."

    The investigation was opened after Cruz argued with his mother, according to the report. Lynda Cruz, who died in November 2017, was concerned. Video was found of Cruz cutting his arms and posting about it on Snapchat.

    The summary of the report shows DCF investigated Cruz, who had just turned 18, as a “vulnerable adult due to mental illness." The report said he "...was on Snapchat cutting both of his arms,” and had “plans to go out and buy a gun."

    According to the report, his mother said his behavior was the result of a breakup with a girl she said was cheating on Cruz.

    The report also indicated that in 2015, Cruz had a book bag with hate signs including "I hate n----s."

    According to the report, Cruz admitted to a counselor “that he was feeling depressed.” His mother had told investigators that he suffered from ADHD and autism.

    The report also showed a crisis clinician from Henderson Mental Health determined Cruz was not a risk to himself or anyone else. “No other referrals or services were needed,” the Florida Department of Children and Families concluded.

    After three months of investigating, the report was closed finding “no indicators to support the allegations of inadequate supervision or medical neglect.”

    DCF petitioned for the full report to be released.

    "We don’t want to be the one party at the table, who looks like they’re hiding something or got something to hide, because we absolutely do not," attorney John Jackson, who is representing the Department of Children and Families, said at a hearing over the report.

    DCF Releasing New Details on School Shooting Suspect

    [MI] DCF Releasing New Details on School Shooting Suspect

    The Florida Department of Children and Families is releasing new details from a 2016 report on Nikolas Cruz, the teen accused of killing 17 in a shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland.

    (Published Monday, Feb. 19, 2018)

    A Broward County circuit court judge ruled the public has a right to know the details of the full investigation and ordered the documents be released after redacting the names of DCF workers.

    Cruz, 19, is facing murder charges in last week's shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School that claimed 17 lives.

    Get the latest from NBC 6 anywhere, anytime