A nativity scene depicting the birth of Jesus will be on display at the Capitol through the holiday season.
A private group called the Florida Nativity Scene Committee will install the display at noon Tuesday. It is doing so with the help of the Chicago-based, conservative law firm Thomas More Society.
Another group, Reclaim Christ for Christmas, will then add to the display with depictions of the Three Wise Men said to have delivered gifts to the baby Jesus.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Florida executive director Howard Simon says because the manger scene is paid for privately, the state is opening itself to allow anyone to use the Capitol to express other messages.
More NBC6.com Stories:
- Woman Curses at Miami-Dade Judge Over Bond
- PHOTOS: Weird News Photos
- Bird Steals Camera and Records Journey
- PHOTOS: Celebrity Baby Boom
- Florida Firm Wants to Build $10 Billion Floating City