Trial Date Set for Man Accused of Obama Threats

Joaquin Amador Serrapio heads to court.

A trial date has been set for the man accused of threatening to kill President Barack Obama during his trip to Miami in February.

Joaquin Amador Serrapio Jr., 20, will head to trial on May 21, a judge ruled during a Wednesday hearing.

The 20-year-old is currently being held in a Miami federal detention center for posting messages in which he threatened to assassinate President Obama, authorities said. (Published Tuesday, Feb. 28, 2012)

According to a criminal complaint, Serrapio used a fake Facebook account to post threats and send text messages to friends saying he was "challenging" the administration.

"Who wants to help me assassinate Obummer while hes at UM this week?" Serrapio wrote on the Facebook account under the alias "Jay Valor," according to the criminal complaint.

A Miami man accused of threatening to kill President Barack Obama appeared in federal court on Friday and entered a not guilty plea. Joaquin Amador Serrapio Jr., 20, was arrested last month for making threats against Obama during the president's trip to Miami in February. His attorney Alan Ross said his client had no intention of hurting the president and he wants to apologize to Obama, his community and his family. (Published Saturday, Jan. 31, 2015)

"If anyones going to UM to see obama today, get ur phones out an record. Cause at any moment im gonna put a bullet through his head and u don't wanna miss that! Youtube!" he wrote, according to the complaint.

Serrapio, a student at Miami-Dade College West, was arrested and later released on bond. He has since pleaded not guilty.

Alan Ross, Serrapio's attorney, said he hopes the case won't go to trial and said his client was just poking fun at friends who were excited to see Obama.

"It was not a real threat, it was foolishness," Ross said, adding Serrapio had no guns at the time of his arrest.