Hoverboard Bursts Into Flames, Destroys Home in Dania Beach - NBC 6 South Florida

Hoverboard Bursts Into Flames, Destroys Home in Dania Beach

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Hoverboard Caused House Fire in Dania Beach

    A hoverboard exploded causing two fires at a home in Dania Beach. (Published Thursday, Aug. 18, 2016)

    A family is devastated after a hoverboard caught fire and exploded, torching two rooms inside a house in Dania Beach.

    The blaze happened at the home located at 833 Argonaut Isle.

    Broward Sheriff's Fire Rescue said the hoverboard was plugged up inside a bedroom when it went up in flames, then the batteries exploded and flew into another bedroom causing a second fire.

    "There was quite a large pyrotechnic display, flaming pieces and chunks of plastic the size of a golf ball. I poked my head around the door cause I saw several fly across the hallway," said homeowner Lawrence Gaalswyk. 

    The hoveboard had been plugged in for weeks which likely caused the batteries to overheat and catch fire. 

    Gaalswyk said the gadget was purchased online with no safety seal on it. 

    Fire Rescue officials advised consumers to not leave hoverboards or any large electronics plugged in for days unless they are ensured to be safe.  

    Gaalswyk said he will never bring a hoverboard to his house again.