It's Tuesday, Aug. 13 – here are the 6 Things to Know:
Tuesday morning will begin with dry weather along with partly cloudy skies and temperatures in the upper 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
Scattered storms will develop in the afternoon after about 1 p.m. with warm and humid weather in the highs in the low-to-mid 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Check Today's Forecast.
The latest headlines:
1. Crews are doing emergency maintenance work near Oleta State Park in northeast Miami-Dade after a sewage spill. Officials advise residents to avoid using too much water and participating in water activities.
2. A California Highway Patrol officer was killed and two other officers were wounded when a man with an assault-style rifle opened fire in a brazen daytime shootout.
3. Electric scooters are seen as an option to reduce South Florida’s traffic congestion, but they can also be dangerous. NBC 6 Investigates how many accidents have happened in our area and why some are calling for more oversight.
4. The Broward League of Cities’ School and Community Public Safety Task Force will hold a meeting Tuesday at Sunrise City Hall. They plan to issue an update to its June 2018 initial report and recommendations prepared in the wake of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas shooting tragedy.
5. Immigrants using public assistance, such as food stamps and Medicaid, could be denied green cards under new Trump administration rules.
6. It's almost time for kids to go back to school! Officials in different agencies are holding their own events to prepare children for a great, safe school year. Everything from free helmets to free school supplies for teachers are available!