8 Hospitalized With Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning at Miami Navarro

Eight patrons of Navarro Pharmacy in Miami were hospitalized with signs of carbon monoxide poisoning Saturday morning

NBC Universal, Inc.

Eight people were hospitalized with signs of carbon monoxide poisoning at a Navarro Pharmacy in Miami Saturday, according to The City of Miami Fire Department.

Fire crews responded to reports of multiple sick patients at the pharmacy, located at 1601 West Flagler Street. At the scene, they found multiple people complaining of headaches and nausea, according to officials.

Officials say everyone was immediately evacuated out of the structure and the hazardous materials team made entry with gas monitors.

The team found extremely high levels of carbon monoxide and began to ventilate the store with electrical fans.

Outside, paramedics assessed nearly 30 patients on the scene and transported eight to area hospitals with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. 

At this time, officials believe a gas-powered machine used to clean the floors may have caused the incident. 

"I believe they were using a propane powered polisher to shine the floors before the business opened and that does release CO into the air, carbon monoxide into the air and that’s probably what got these people sick," Lt. Pete Sanchez with Miami Fire Recue said. "Anything that’s gas-powered you do not utilize inside your property. Because it gives off CO, Carbon monoxide is an odorless, invisible gas that can be fatal."

Officials said it took two hours to ventilate the premise and that the patients in the hospital are expected to be okay.

Contact Us