Beaten Cop's Back Up Left Him Behind: Report - NBC 6 South Florida

Beaten Cop's Back Up Left Him Behind: Report

Officer beaten with a cinder block and run over with his own car



    Beaten Cop's Back Up Left Him Behind: Report
    Miami-Dade Corrections

    A Miami-Dade police officer who was beaten with a cinder block and run over by a suspect became a victim just moments after his back up left the scene of the crime, a report of the weekend incident stated.

    Det. Carlos Castillo is still in the hospital fighting for his life after suffering a savage beating at the hands of ex-con Michael Paul Robertson, Jr., who then took the officer's car and ran him over with it.

    According to the police report, Castillo requested back up for a routine traffic stop on Friday night in Liberty City after pulling over Robertson and his girlfriend, 25-year-old Monica Rene Banks. Robertson, who was already a wanted man, fled the scene and Castillo, instead of giving chase, handcuffed Banks and waited on his back up.

    After back up arrived a short time later, the officers left the scene to search for 33-year-old Robertson. Castillo was left on the side of the road with Banks. It's unclear form the report how many officers came to the scene.

    As the Castillo placed Banks in his Dodge Charger, Robertson snuck up from behind and bashed Castillo on the head with a cinder block. The suspect then kicked and stomped on the down officer before jumping into the patrol car and running the helpless officer over.

    It's unclear if the Castillo's back up followed proper procedure in leaving Castillo behind alone with Banks and Miami-Dade police have yet to comment on the issue.

    On Monday, Banks, who witnessed the encounter while in handcuffs, had her bond amount reduced to $25,000 and is expected to be released from jail today.

    Robertson gave himself up a short time after the attack. he is charged with first-degree attempted murder. He is also charged with robbery/carjacking, aggravated assault with a firearm, and possession of a firearm by a felon.

    Castillo was rushed to Ryder Trauma Center, where the 37-year-old married father of two remains in critical condition with multiple skull fractures and brain and spine injuries, as well as seven broken ribs and damage to several internal organs.

    Castillo has already underwent several life-saving surgeries to mend injuries to his head and spine.