What to Know
Superintendent Robert Runcie said the district will pay an independent firm based out of Tallahassee close to $60,000.
Runcie said he hopes the firm will be able to complete their investigation by June.
As a grand jury officially begins hearing evidence to formally indict Nikolas Cruz for the mass shooting inside Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, the Broward school district is now prepared to conduct a review of what went wrong with his education plan.
Superintendent Robert Runcie said Tuesday that the district will pay an independent firm based out of Tallahassee close to $60,000 to investigate the 19-year-old’s time in the school system while using the mistakes to learn how to deal with possible warning signs in the future.
"While we cannot undo this heartbreaking attack on our school community on February 14, we can and must do what we can to understand the conditions that lead to such acts, in hopes of avoiding them here and elsewhere," Runcie said in a statement.
Runcie said he hopes the firm will be able to complete their investigation by June. Earlier in the week, he had said there had been no evidence seen showing a failure on the part of Broward County Schools when it had information about possible behavior involving Cruz.
During Tuesday’s school board meeting, Runcie also reiterated that students from the school can skip state assessment tests this year due to a state law.