Charges Dropped in Alleged Fontainebleau Rape - NBC 6 South Florida

Charges Dropped in Alleged Fontainebleau Rape

Three men won't face sexual battery charges in alleged attack at posh hotel

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Living Well With Cardiovascular Disease
    Miami-Dade Corrections
    Paul Thorington, Anthony Albano, and Ray Joseph Laranjo.

    Charges were dropped Monday against three California men who had been accused of raping a woman at Miami Beach's Fontainebleau hotel in March.

    Paul Thorington, Anthony Albano, and Ray Joseph Laranjo, all 23, won't face charges in the alleged March 23 attack inside one of the rooms of the swank hotel.

    All three had been under house arrest in California after posting $50,000 bond.

    According to a police report, the three men met the woman at a late-afternoon pool party at the Shelborne Hotel. The woman had agreed to go back to their hotel room at the Fontainebleau to drop off her purse and return to the party, but when they got to the room, the men held her down on the bed against her will, the police report said.

    Police said the men took turns having forced sex with her as she tried to get away, even biting one of the attackers. The report said the woman was left with bruises on her arms and legs that were consistent with being physically held back.

    Officials haven't said why the charges were dropped.

    Laranjo's attorney, David Macey, said the charges were dropped due to a lack of evidence.

    "We congratulate the state attorney's office for the hard and appropriate decision," Macey said.