An infant who died while napping in her parents' bed in their southwest Miami-Dade home in April was asphyxiated while co-sleeping and had been exposed to cocaine, according to a medical examiner's report that was released Friday.
Little Ayla Cappas was less than two months old when her lifeless body was found in the bed at her home off Southwest 129th Avenue and 268th Street.
Father Alvaro Cappas told NBC 6 that he and his fiancee were taking a nap with their newborn when the baby’s mother woke up and noticed something was wrong with the child. After multiple CPR attempts, Ayla was pronounced dead at the scene.
The Miami-Dade Medical Examiner's report released Friday lists the cause of death as "probably asphyxia" due to an "unsafe sleep environment (bed sharing)." A contributory cause was listed as "cocaine exposure" after a blood sample that was tested detected the drug, the report said.
The three-page autopsy report showed the baby was in good health, well-nourished and had no signs of abuse or injuries to any part of her body.
Reached by NBC 6 Friday, the girl's mother said she was shocked, adding that she had no idea where the baby could have been exposed. She said she is still very upset over the child's death, and wants to encourage other parents to learn from her mistake and not co-sleep with an infant.
Miami-Dade Police are still investigating the baby's death and there was no word on whether charges could be filed in the case, but Cappas was behind bars on a separate battery charge Friday after allegedly grabbing the girl's mother and throwing her to the ground, according to a arrest report.
At the time of Ayla's death, Cappas called it a tragic accident.
"[Her mother] thinks that she turned over closer to mom and mom was sleeping and didn’t feel it. You feel the warmness of your child and you're all comfy,” he said.