Miami Dolphins defensive tackle Kendrick Norton spoke out for the first time since he suffered multiple injuries in a car crash that required his left arm to be amputated.
"I'm good thank you to everyone that checked on me!!! I'm good thanks for the prayers to God be the glory," Norton posted Monday along with a photo of his right thumb up in an Instagram story, the Sun-Sentinelreported.
Florida Highway Patrol Lt. Alex Camacho says the Ford F-250 Norton was driving crashed into a concrete barrier and overturned early on July 4 on State Road 836 near Miami. Miami-Dade Fire Rescue crews rendered aid to 22-year-old Norton, who was taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital's Ryder Trauma Center.
Norton played at the University of Miami and was drafted by the Carolina Panthers in the seventh round in 2018. He spent much of last season on their practice squad. The Dolphins signed him in December.
A GoFundMe was also created for Norton on Monday, but was later updated to say the NFL reached out and told him his medical costs would be covered.
"This is great news, but with his career over and no source of income currently, this has put a tremendous amount of financial strain on Kendrick and his family. Any continued support is appreciated. Thank you all," the post read.
Norton has undergone three surgeries since the crash and needs at least two more, according to the GoFundMe. About $5,000 of the $150,000 goal had been raised as of Tuesday.