Three people were hospitalized for smoke inhalation after a fire engulfed a northwest Miami-Dade duplex Thursday morning.
Firefighters responded to the scene near Northwest 8th Avenue and 93rd Street just before 6 a.m. where thick smoke and flames could be seen coming from the home.
The three people who lived in the duplex where the fire started - a father, mother and teen daughter - were taken to an area hospital for smoke inhalation. Officials have not given an update on their condition.
"One of the parents woke up due to the smoke, and evacuated her family members," said Lt. Felipe Lay from Miami-Dade Fire Rescue.
Officials say approximately six people from the adjacent unit were also displaced. The Red Cross is assisting with those affected.