Florida Teen Girl Seriously Burned by New Year's Eve Bonfire

Layne Chesney, who was badly burned in a bonfire on New Year's Eve in Fort Pierce, is recovering at a Miami hospital.

(Published Wednesday, Jan. 3, 2018)

Authorities say a Florida teen was seriously burned when she attempted to pour gasoline on a fire at a New Year's Eve party.

The 14-year-old girl, Layne Chesney, was rushed to the hospital in critical condition Sunday night in the final hours of 2017. Her mother says doctors aren't sure if the teen will survive.

Layne Chesney was hospitalized in Miami after she was badly burned at a New Year's Eve party in Fort Pierce.

(Published Wednesday, Jan. 3, 2018)

"[The doctors] told me that 95 percent of her body suffered third-degree burns and that most people don’t survive those injuries. They basically said just prepare for the worst," Leigh Chesney, Layne’s mother said. "But she pulled though."

Layne is being treated at Kendall Regional Medical Center in Miami. Family members said she could spend between six months and a year in the hospital.

The St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office says the girl had been huddled around a dwindling bonfire at a friend's Fort Pierce home before attempting to pour gasoline on it. A report says the gas can exploded, and the girl became engulfed in flames.

Another teen and his parents were treated for burns after trying to extinguish the flames on the girl.

"[The doctors] told me that she is going to have a very long, difficult battle ahead," Leigh Chesney said. "It's not going to be easy."