Hernandez Case Suspect Denied Bail - NBC 6 South Florida

Hernandez Case Suspect Denied Bail

Ernest Wallace, 41, is being held at the Broward County Main Jail.



    Ernest Wallace, 41, is being held without bond in Broward in connection with the Aaron Hernandez murder case. (Published Saturday, June 29, 2013)

    A judge denied bond Saturday to a man police say is connected to the killing of Odin Lloyd.

    Ernest Wallace, 41, is being held at the Broward County Main Jail on charges of accessory to murder after the fact.

    Wallace, whose wanted poster was released Thursday night, surrendered in Miramar.

    Two other people have been arrested in the case, including former NFL player Aaron Hernandez, who has been charged with murder.

    Ernest Wallace Turns Himself In

    [MI] RAW VIDEO: Ernest Wallace Was Arrested in Miramar in Connection to the Aaron Hernandez Case
    Ernest Wallace was arrested on Friday in Miramar on a warrant in connection to the killing of Odin Lloyd. Ernest Wallace, 41, turned himself in to police at 1:20 p.m. without incident, and his attorney faxed in a letter to police saying he was invoking his right to counsel, said Officer Maria Strickland. Massachusetts investigators were in Miramar when he turned himself in because the two agencies had been working on the case together for several days.
    (Published Friday, June 28, 2013)

    Police arrested Hernandez on Wednesday at his home and charged him with orchestrating Lloyd's execution-style shooting. Prosecutors said Hernandez orchestrated the killing because Lloyd talked to the wrong people at a nightclub.

    Carlos Ortiz was charged Friday with illegally carrying a gun.

    Hernandez, Ortiz and Wallace were in a Nissan Altima with Lloyd shortly before his death, Bristol County, Mass., District Attorney C. Samuel Sutter said.

    Man Says He Lost Eye After NFL Player Shot Him

    [MI] Man Says He Lost Eye After NFL's Aaron Hernandez Shot Him in South Florida in February: Lawsuit
    Alexander S. Bradley said in a lawsuit that he lost an eye after NFL player Aaron Hernandez shot him in South Florida in February. An attorney for Bradley, Elizabeth Eilender, discussed the case. Separately, state police returned to Hernandez’s home in North Attleborough, Massachusetts on Wednesday, two days after a body was found about a mile away in an industrial park. Family friend Keith Roy said relatives of the victim, Odin Lloyd, are heartbroken.
    (Published Thursday, June 20, 2013)

    "We now have in custody the three individuals who were in the silver Nissan Altima," Sutter said Friday when Ortiz was arraigned on the gun charge in Attleboro District Court.

    All three men have ties to Bristol, Conn.: Hernandez grew up there, Ortiz had been living there and authorities had conflicting addresses for Wallace there and in Miramar.

    Aaron Hernandez Taken in Handcuffs

    [NEWSC] Aaron Hernandez Taken in Handcuffs
    New England Patriots football player Aaron Hernandez was taken into police custody Wednesday morning, more than a week after a Boston semi-pro football player was found dead in an industrial park a mile from the player's house.
    (Published Wednesday, June 26, 2013)

    Hernandez pleaded not guilty to murder and was denied bail Thursday. Ortiz also was being held without bail pending a court hearing on July 9. Wallace was taken to jail pending extradition proceedings, police said.

    Hernandez's lawyer argued in court that the case is circumstantial. He said Hernandez, who was cut by the Patriots the day he was arrested, wanted to clear his name.

    Ortiz's attorney, John Connors, said he will seek bail for his client at the July 9 hearing. He described Ortiz as a "gentle person" and said he will advise Ortiz to plead not guilty.

    "I can say that his charge has nothing to do with homicide," Connors said.

    Wallace walked into the police station and told officers there was a warrant for his arrest, which officers confirmed by checking a computer database.

    "He stated he knew he had a warrant because he saw himself on TV," Miramar police Officer Gil Bueno said. "He was very cooperative. It was uneventful."

    An attorney for Wallace, David Meier, told The Boston Globe that his client was visiting his mother and other relatives in Miramar when he realized he was wanted in Massachusetts and went to police. Meier said Wallace intends to return to Massachusetts "as soon as possible."

    Earlier Friday, Ortiz appeared in Bristol Superior Court in Connecticut, where a judge authorized turning him over to a Massachusetts state trooper and a North Attleborough officer.

    A friend and a relative of Ortiz said outside the courthouse that they were stunned by his arrest. They said Ortiz is the devoted father of two girls and a boy, all under the age of 9. Ortiz was unemployed recently but previously worked a long time at a Savers clothing store, they said.

    They also said they couldn't believe Ortiz could be part of a murder.

    "He's not that type of person. He has a good heart," said friend Milton Montesdeoca, who added he didn't know Hernandez and never heard Ortiz talk about the football star.

    Also Friday, authorities said law enforcement officers recovered in Bristol a car Wallace was seen driving before he surrendered.

    Authorities have said trouble that led to Lloyd's killing happened June 14, when Lloyd went with Hernandez to a Boston nightclub. Hernandez became upset when Lloyd began talking with people Hernandez apparently didn't like, prosecutors said.

    On June 16, the night before the slaying, a prosecutor said, Hernandez texted two unidentified friends and asked them to hurry to Massachusetts from Connecticut.

    A few minutes later, he texted Lloyd to tell him he wanted to get together, prosecutors said. Authorities say the three men picked up Lloyd at around 2:30 a.m. June 17, drove him to an industrial park near Hernandez's home and shot him five times.

    Prosecutors said an ammunition clip was found in Hernandez's Hummer and matched the caliber of casings found at the scene of Lloyd's killing.

    Hernandez, who was drafted by the Patriots in 2010 and signed a five-year contract worth $40 million last summer, could face life in prison if convicted.