For the second straight day, long lines have formed before the sun comes up at two South Florida locations as residents and business owners apply for state assistance in the weeks and months following Hurricane Irma.
People starting arriving at the BB&T Center in Sunrise and Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens as early as 3 a.m. for the second day of the Food for Florida event, in which state officials will help those who suffered losses during the September 10th storm that essentially affected the entire state.
As of around 2 p.m., the line at Hard Rock reached capacity, officials said. Everyone in line would be accepted but officials said they couldn't process anyone else at that location Wednesday.
As a result of these events, drivers are advised to avoid the areas around both locations as major traffic delays are expected for the next two days, much like the delays drivers encountered during the first day of registration on Tuesday.
The awards granted by the state’s Department of Agriculture and Department of Children and Families range from a few hundred dollars to more than $1,000 and depend on the family size, storm loss and income.
The event will run from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. at each location and will only be serving people with a last name starting with the letters G through P. Those with a last name starting with A through F were served on Tuesday and those Q through Z will be served at the same locations on Thursday.
Florida DCF officials encourage people to apply online at this link to help the process move quicker once they arrive at either site.
The events were moved from county parks after large crowds overwhelmed officials last month. Officials say they are working with the Miami-Dade Police Department, the Broward County Sheriff's Office and other non-governmental organizations and agencies to ensure the events at both locations run safely and efficiently.