Police have charged a man in connection with a hit-and-run crash in northwest Miami-Dade that left a teen hospitalized, officials said Tuesday.
Miami-Dade Police officials said traffic homicide detectives met with 33-year-old Simion Sawarro Boykin to discuss the incident that left 15-year-old Javier Valdes.
Boykin was later charged with leaving the scene of an accident with serious injuries, driving with a suspended license and driving with a suspended license while being a habitual traffic offender, police said. It's unknown if he's hired an attorney.
City of Miami Commissioner Keon Hardemon stopped by Jackson Memorial Hospital Tuesday to speak to Valdes' family. He said he encouraged Boykin, his relative, to speak with police.
"My family member Simion is deeply sorry for what happened," Hardemon said. "And our family, once we learned what happened, we encouraged him to speak to police."
Witnesses told police the teen was crossing Northwest 22nd Avenue in the 7900 block in the crosswalk around 6:24 a.m. Monday when a driver, who had the green light, crashed into the teen while traveling southbound. The driver of the vehicle drove away.
Valdes was taken to Jackson Memorial in critical but stable condition. Family members later said he was awake and talking.
The family of Valdes said they were relieved to hear a man had been detained in the case but said they're angry he did not come forward sooner.
"You hurt my children and I'm going to go after you," grandmother Ruth Pasarell said. And he can bet his life I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure the person pays the consequences of his actions."
Hardemon said he assumed Boykin was afraid and that's why he left the scene. Pasarell, who has had custody of the boy for 10 years, said she still has many questions.
"Is he going to be treated differently because he's related to a commissioner? Is he going to pay the consequences?" she said.