Long lines that have become the norm during the Food for Florida events outside of Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens and the BB&T Center in Sunrise will continue Thursday for the third and final day.
Originally scheduled to just be accepting applicants with last names starting with letters Q through Z, Department of Children and Families Vice Director Gilda Ferradaz told Telemundo 51 that they are accepting all applicants due to the massive turnout the first two days.
The events started at 7 a.m. and run through 6 p.m.
The Food for Florida program, created in conjunction with DCF and the Florida Department of Agriculture, provides assistance to those not already receiving aid from the state that suffered damage or a loss during Hurricane Irma, which devastated the state nearly two months ago.
According to DCF, about 200,000 people have applied for benefits between this week's 3-day event and last month's 5-day event.
The benefits have ranged from $385 for a household with one person to $2,300 for a household of eight. Statewide, an estimated $1.2 billion has been allocated to hurricane victims, DCF said.
Traffic delays, which have been consistent during the first two days of the event, are expected to continue Thursday and drivers remain advised to seek an alternate route if they can.
Ferradaz says that those who can’t make it to the events today can still go to any DCF office and apply for regular programs that are offered by the state. Those who are elderly or handicapped can send a representative to today’s line and process information for them as well.