Phone May Have Sparked Fort Lauderdale House Fire: Officials

Fire officials believe a charging cellphone may have sparked a house fire. NBC 6's Erika Glover reports.

(Published Thursday, Sept. 6, 2018)

A charging cellphone may have sparked a house fire that displaced a Navy veteran and his family Thursday morning in Fort Lauderdale, fire officials said.

"I dropped it," said homeowner Ernest Todd. "I don't know if it's from the impact. When it hit the ground and that's when I see flames actually come up from the cellphone within itself."

The flames were enough to make conditions at the house NW 29th Terrace unlivable. In a matter of 30 minutes, Todd says smoke tore through his property.

His father, girlfriend, nephew and two caged dogs made it out just in time to call 911.

The fire Marshall inspecting the property did not recover Todd's cell phone.

Officials with the American Red Cross say assisting the family.