Just one day after the U.S. ordered 15 Cuban diplomats to leave the embassy in Washington, NBC 6 has learned more announcements may be made by Friday.
Multiple sources say the Senate Intelligence Committee will hold a closed door session soon.
Although the Cuban government continues to deny involvement in any sort of sonic "attack", sources say the U.S. government is looking into multiple scenarios.
One angle American officials are exploring is if a Cuban rogue group who didn't want normalized relations between both countries is to blame.
Another scenario they are looking into is whether or not Russia, North Korea, or Iran were involved.
"If the investigation reveals that Russia, North Korea, or Iran were involved it would not surprise me if Cuba is put back on the terror watch list," says Andy Gomez Interim director for the University of Miami's Institute for Cuban and Cuban American studies.
U.S. regulations may also soon be announced that could restrict travel to Cuba and create new processes for doing business according to Gomez who was briefed on this matter.
Last week, U.S. officials said Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez requested a meeting with Secretary of State Rex Tillerson. According to sources, the State Department expected Rodriguez to come to the meeting with some information and they were taken aback when Rodriguez provided little information about the mysterious incident.
NBC6 has also learned the number of U.S. personnel and family members affected by this health issue in Cuba is greater than 22. Sources say some victims have shown symptoms consistent not only with sonic attacks.
"I think the U.S.- Cuba normalization process is frozen until Cuba comes forward with something," says Gomez.