Everyone’s car needs a repair at some point. But are you doing the best to get the most bang for your buck when you’re shopping for a mechanic? Follow these six tips to make sure you’re getting safe, reliable repairs when choosing a mechanic.
1. Check with family and friends for recommendations.
2. Search for mechanics online and check the Better Business Bureau for ratings.
3. Call the mechanic before you go. Ask if they offer free estimates.
4.Before you authorize repairs, make sure you receive a written estimate.
5. If the mechanic cannot return your vehicle the same day you drop it off, ask for a written time of repairs estimate.
6. If the mechanic won’t give you everything in writing, walk away.
If you believe you’ve been scammed by a mechanic, we want to know about it. Click here to reach out to the NBC 6 Responds team.