President Barack Obama is getting an annual briefing on the hurricane season during a visit Thursday to the National Hurricane Center located at the Modesto A. Maidique Campus of Florida International University in Miami.
In anticipation of the visit, motorists are advised to give themselves additional travel time in and around the campus as parking and traffic patterns are being altered to accomodate security.
Between 6 a.m. and 2 p.m., the following traffic and road closures will be in place:
- 117th Avenue traffic will stop when President Obama arrives on campus at approximately 10 a.m.
- Access through the west entrance of 117th Avenue and Southwest 17th Street will be closed, continuing through 115th Avenue.
- Access through Southwest 11th Street and 116th Avenue will also be closed.
- The west side of Lot 26, located in front of the Campus Support Complex (CSC) will be restricted with limited access for VIP parking only. Disabled parking spaces will remain available for use.
- Lot 27 behind CSC will be closed – no access permitted.
- CSC staff should park in Lot 7, located west of the Ocean Bank Field at FIU Stadium (football stadium). A portion of this lot will also be reserved for media parking.
For more information, contact the univerisity's Parking & Transportation Customer Care Center at 305-348-3615.