Teens Fall Ill After Eating Laundry Detergent, Then Post to Social Media - NBC 6 South Florida

Teens Fall Ill After Eating Laundry Detergent, Then Post to Social Media

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Teens Fall Ill After Participating in Tide Pod Challenge

    Many teenagers are filming themselves eating Tide PODS laundry detergent packets and then posting it on social media. 

    (Published Friday, Jan. 12, 2018)

    What to Know

    • Many are becoming sick after participating in the "Tide Pod Challenge"

    • The challenge has people film their reaction while they eat a Tide pod laundry detergent packet.

    • The American Association of Poison Control Centers reported that more than 10,000 children five and younger were exposed to the packets.

    A new social media challenge is going viral, but this time, it’s causing health hazards to those participating.

    “The Tide POD Challenge” has many filming themselves chewing a Tide POD detergent packet and then posting their reactions to social media.

    But many health professionals advise against participating in this challenge, as it could cause some serious health complications.

    Tide detergent pods are small packages of highly concentrated laundry detergent replace traditional bottled laundry detergent.

    The American Association of Poison Control Centers reported that more than 10,000 children five and younger were exposed to a single-load laundry packet in 2017.

    Children who have gotten the product in their mouths have reported excessive vomiting, wheezing and gasping. Some have even reported getting very sleepy.

    A spokesperson from Tide says they are “deeply concerned about conversations related to intentional and improper use of liquid laundry pacs.”

    “They should not be played with,” said a Tide spokesman, in reference to the Tide PODs. “Whatever the circumstance, even if meant as a joke. Like all household cleaning products, they must be used properly and stored safely.”

    The front label of the Tide PODS packaging states that they are harmful if placed in the mouth or swallowed and can also irritate the eyes.

    If a Tide POD is eaten, you’re urged to call Poison Control or proceed to your nearest emergency room for treatment. Tide also has a safety guide on their website.

    Get the latest from NBC 6 anywhere, anytime