Youngest Brewer Suspect Charged With Burglary - NBC 6 South Florida

Youngest Brewer Suspect Charged With Burglary

13-year-old Jeremy Jarvis in court again for breaking into house



    Youngest Brewer Suspect Charged With Burglary
    Jeremy Jarvis, in court to face burglary charges on June 16, 2010.

    The 13-year-old boy who was arrested and later released for his role in the burning attack on Mikey Brewer is in trouble with the law again.

    Jeremy Jarvis, who was released in November after prosecutors declined to press charges against him in the Brewer attack, was arrested Tuesday on burglary charges.

    He made a brief court appearance Wednesday morning, where he was placed on house arrest and released into his mother's custody.

    Jarvis, whose brother, Denver, has been charged with the attempted murder of Brewer in the brutal Oct. 12 attack, is accused of breaking into a Pompano Beach home to steal a Nintendo Wii, according to a police report.

    According to the report, Jarvis and another suspect were attempting to break into the home on the 1900 block of Northeast 53rd Court on the evening of May 24 when a motion-activated camera caught the two in the act.

    The home's owner, who wasn't there at the time of the burglary, was able to recognize Jarvis in the surveillance video.

    Police confronted Jarvis, who admitted to taking part in the burglary in front of his mother, according to the report.

    "We'll see what happens," Jarvis' attorney, Steve Melnick. "I can't speak for his family but I'm sure there's a lot of disappointment. He hasn't been convicted of any crimes, all it is is he's been accused of something...he may be totally innocent."

    Jeremy Jarvis is one of five teens originally charged with the burning of Brewer outside a Deerfield Beach apartment complex in a dispute over a video game. Brewer, 15, suffered burns on over 60 percent of his body and spent months in the hospital before he was allowed to go home.

    Denver Jarvis and Matthew Bent, both 15, and 16-year-old Jesus Mendez have all been in jail since the attack, awaiting trial.