With school in South Florida starting soon, families have started the hunt for school supplies and clothing for the upcoming educational year.
Sunday, August 7th, is the last day for Floridians to take advantage of the back-to-school tax-free holiday by purchasing select items for the school year.
The Florida Department of Revenue has released this fact sheet detailing the items that are tax-free from Jul. 25 - Aug. 7.
Some tax-free items include:
Get South Florida local news, weather forecasts and entertainment stories to your inbox. Sign up for NBC South Florida newsletters.
- Clothing, footwear, and accessories on sale for $100 or less per item
- School supplies on sale for $50 or less per item
- jigsaw puzzles and learning aids such as flashcards on sale for $30 or less
- Personal computers and related accessories purchased for noncommercial home or personal use on sale for $1,500 or less
The tax-free holiday in Florida begins as the National Retail Federation estimates that families across the country are expected to spend an average of $864 on back-to-school shopping this year.
There are other tax-free holidays to keep in mind for Florida families that are already underway:
- From May 14 to Aug. 14, there is a tax-free holiday on children's books. This is defined by the state as a book aimed for children ages 12 and under.
- From Jul. 1, 2022 to June 30, 2023, there is a tax-free holiday on children’s (5 years old or younger) diapers and baby and toddler clothing, apparel and footwear.