Carbon Monoxide Leak Sends 11 School Workers to Hospital

Cafeteria workers fall ill after leak at Miami elementary school

A carbon monoxide leak in the cafeteria of a South Florida elementary school sent 11 people to the hospital early Monday.

The incident happened shortly before 9 a.m. at Charles R. Hadley Elementary School in Miami, when some of the eleven people, all adults, began to feel ill.

The cafeteria was evacuated of workers and Miami-Dade Fire-Rescue was called in to investigate.

Officials said they found large levels of carbon monoxide in the cafeteria and cooking area, and that it was contained to only those areas.

No children were eating at the time or became sick, and school will stay in session throughout the day. The school plans on bringing in boxed lunches for the students, officials said.

Contact Us