Girl, 2, Strangled by Window Blind Cord in Oakland Park: BSO

A 2-year-old girl has died after choking on a window blind cord at a home in Oakland Park Wednesday, authorities said.

Oakland Park Fire Rescue officials said they responded to a home in the 4500 block of Northeast 15th Way  around 12:30 p.m. and rushed the toddler to Holy Cross Hospital.

Broward Sheriff's Office officials later said the child died. Neighbors said a mom, dad and two children live at the home. 

"Six sheriff cars pulled up and they were running as fast as they could into the front door," neighbor Michael Matheson said.

Matheson said the girl's father arrived moments later.

"He was running as fast as he could and he came around the corner and darted past all the sheriffs, about five second later he came out screaming," Matheson said.

The incident is under investigation but there is nothing suspicious, officials said.

No other information was immediately known.

This child's death is the third in Florida since August 2015, according to Linda Kaiser of Parents for Window Blind Safety. Kaiser started the nonprofit group in 2002 to support parents who lose children and educate consumers about the risks.

The group keeps tracks of deaths and injuries from window blind cords. They report 592 children have been killed or injured in these accidents since 1995, 36 in Florida.

Parents for Window Blind Safety petitioned the Consumer Product Safety Commission in 2014 for mandatory standards for window blind makers.

CPSC in March announced its partnering with Canada to to come up with new standards to encourage cordless window coverings.

The Window Covering Manufacturers Association (WCMA) encourages parents and caregivers to check window coverings for exposed or dangling cords. The group recommends replacing them with cordless window covering products or those with inaccessible cords.

The group says parents can identify products best suited for homes with young children by looking for the 'Best for Kids' certification on products.

PSA: In An Instant (Child Safety Film - Dangers of Corded Blinds)

Contact Us