A child who was injured while playing with fireworks at an apartment complex in southwest Miami-Dade was airlifted to a local hospital Friday, officials said.
Miami-Dade Fire Rescue officials said the incident happened at the complex at 10875 Southwest 216th Street.
Miami-Dade Police confirmed the child was playing with fireworks at the time of the incident.
The child was airlifted to Kendall Regional Hospital as a trauma alert. The child's exact injuries were unknown.
Residents of the complex said the child is a boy around nine years old. One neighbor said his hand appeared to be badly hurt.
"The hand almost was gone, like practically off," Tenika Lee said. Like blood everywhere...cause the mom thought he was going to bleed to death."
Check back with NBC 6 for updates.