NBC

Boys Badly Burned While Playing With Fireworks in Pompano Beach

Two boys were seriously injured while they were playing with fireworks Wednesday at a Pompano Beach home.

The call came in at around 2:30 p.m. from the 400 block of NW 6th Avenue.

The boys, ages 8 and 9, were outside lighting an "onion bomb," which is a very powerful and homemade firework device that is also illegal, said Pompano Beach Fire Rescue spokeswoman Sandra King. 

King said the boys, thinking the device wasn't lit, ignited it again and were leaning over the firework when it exploded in their faces.

The children were transported to the hospital, according to the Broward Sheriff's Office. The 8-year-old sustained second-degree burns to his face and his hands, and the 9-year-old has second-degree burns on one of his hands, King said.

Detectives are trying to determine where the device came from, and whether the boys' parents will be charged in connection with the incident.

Contact Us