Christmas Coal: Tree Fire Burns Down House

A family is displaced after their Christmas tree caught fire

So much for getting an early jump on Christmas.

A Miami family is looking for a new place to hang their stockings after their freshly decorated Christmas tree caught fire Monday, causing extensive damage to their house.

According to Miami Fire Rescue spokesman Lt. Ignatius Carroll, the family that lived at 1241 NW 69th Street had just finished putting up their Christmas tree and trimmed it with ornaments and lights when they decided to go out for dinner on Monday night.

While they were gone, it's believed a light on the tree caught fire, ignited the tree and nearby furniture, according to Miami-Fire Rescue.

Or maybe that evil green guy, the Grinch, wasn't happy with the family's early holiday cheer.

Lt. Carroll said the fire went out fairly quickly but caused significant smoke damage throughout the entire house. The displaced family of eight, four adults and four kids, are being assisted by the Red Cross. There were no injuries.

Contact Us