Cyclists will be hitting the streets of Miami-Dade Friday night for the monthly Critical Mass ride.
The 20-mile ride begins at 7:15 p.m. in front of the government center in Miami. The route will go through Little Havana, North Bay Village and Miami Beach before ending in Downtown Miami.
Bicycle Rules & Safety Tips:
- Stay in the right lane, and do not ride across middle line on the road into opposite travel lane.
- Yield to emergency vehicles.
- No Headphones! While riding a bicycle it is illegal to wear a headset, headphone or other listening device, other than a hearing aid or instrument for the improvement of defective human hearing.
- Safety Lights: Front & rear lights are required by law in the State of Florida.
- Kids under 16 years of age must wear helmets.
- Do not ride on the sidewalk.
- Passing: A passing cyclist is responsible for the safety of the cyclist that is being passed. When passing ring a bell and/or say "on your left."
- Yield to pedestrians and buses.
- No drinking of alcohol or illegal activity during ride.
- Do not filter forward past stopped cars at a red light.
- Skateboarders, inline skaters and recumbent bikes are welcomed, exercise caution.
- Do not litter or vandalize any property.
- Stopping: If you must stop to check your bike, phone, gear etc please move over to the sidewalk when it's clear. Do not stop abruptly in the middle of the street with the mass behind you. You will more than likely cause a cyclist to hit you and/or swerve and hit someone else.
- Always perform an "ABC Quick" Bike Check to ensure that your bike is in safe working order.