What to Know
- Federal prosecutors are expected to announce Monday whether they will seek the death penalty in the Fort Lauderdale Airport shooting
- Esteban Santiago, 28, has pleaded not guilty to a 22-count indictment in the Jan. 6, 2017 shooting in a baggage area at the airport
- The trial is scheduled to begin June 11
Federal prosecutors are expected to announce Monday whether they will seek the death penalty for the man accused of killing five people and wounding six in last year's shooting at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport.
Esteban Santiago, 28, has pleaded not guilty to a 22-count indictment in the Jan. 6, 2017 shooting in a baggage area at the airport.
U.S. District Judge Beth Bloom earlier this year ordered prosecutors to file any notice of intent to seek the death penalty by Monday. Bloom also set June 11 as the day his trial will begin.
Authorities say Santiago, of Anchorage, Alaska, retrieved a 9mm handgun he had taken on a flight in checked luggage, loaded it in a bathroom and came out firing randomly in the crowded terminal.
After the shooting, the FBI says Santiago told agents he acted under government mind control, then claimed inspiration by Islamic State extremists. No terrorism links have been found.
The FBI says numerous airport security cameras captured the shooting on video and there are dozens of witnesses who can identify Santiago as the shooter.
Santiago, a National Guard Iraq war veteran, was briefly hospitalized in Alaska about two months before the airport shooting after complaining of mental problems but was released with no restrictions on possessing a gun.
While awaiting trial in jail, Santiago has been taking anti-psychotic drugs to treat a diagnosis of schizophrenia, but his lawyers say he is competent to stand trial.