Broward Sheriffs Office

Suspect Killed in Deputy-Involved Shooting in Oakland Park: BSO

Broward Sheriff's Office homicide detectives are investigating a fatal deputy-involved shooting of an armed suspect.

It happened Tuesday afternoon outside an Oakland Park apartment complex.

BSO said around 4:30 a.m. a deputy spotted a motorist, 24-year-old Joseph Fuller, driving recklessly southbound on I-95 near Cypress Creek Road.

The deputy conducted a traffic stop on Commercial Boulevard. Before Fuller could be taken into custody for violation of probation and several traffic infractions, he fled when the deputy requested DUI detectives to respond to the scene.

After running the driver's vehicle tag, deputies learned Fuller lived in Oakland Park.

Around 11 a.m., an Oakland Park deputy spotted the suspect's vehicle southbound on Dixie Highway south of Floranada Road and attempted a traffic stop. The suspect fled again.

Oakland Park deputies then contacted BSO's V.I.P.E.R. (Violence Intervention Proactive Enforcement Response) unit to assist with locating the suspect.

At about 2:30 p.m., V.I.P.E.R. detectives followed the suspect to the Floranada Apartment complex and again tried to take him into custody. One of the V.I.P.E.R. detectives identified himself as a law enforcement officer and tried to get the suspect to surrender, but he did not comply and would not get out of the vehicle.

BSO said the two got into a brief physical struggle over the suspect's gun, which resulted in the detective firing his service firearm multiple times.

"The deputy reached with one hand between the suspect's legs, having his other hand on his own firearm. He clearly saw the subject had a firearm and was trying to produce the firearm and the deputy fired," said Sheriff Scott Israel.

Oakland Park Fire Rescue transported the suspect to Broward Health Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.

No other injuries were reported. Authorities have identified the detective as 48-year-old Clyde Davis, who has been with the department since 1993.

The circumstances that let up to the shooting remain under investigation.

Contact Us