Brian Hamacher

Dog Helps Save Family From Hialeah House Fire

A teen says she has her dog to thank for alerting her to a fire in the kitchen of her Hialeah home Monday morning.

The fire broke out at the home on West 68th Street near 9th Court around 7 a.m.

The teen, who didn't want to be identified, said her 3-month-old Shih Tzu named Zule noticed the fire and started barking.

"Yeah, she was going crazy," the teen said.

The teen grabbed her pet and was able to climb out a front window to escape the flames. Firefighters said no one was hurt.

Next door neighbor Nely Abreu said she heard an explosion at the home then saw smoke rising from the roof.

"I thought that it was a bomb or something like that, a gas tank that exploded," Abreu said.

The teen said her father left eggs cooking in the kitchen and thinks that's what sparked the flames. Fire officials said the home was left unlivable, and the Red Cross was helping the victims with a place to stay.

Contact Us