18 Hospitalized After Becoming Sick at Office Building in NW Miami-Dade

Eighteen people were hospitalized after suffering symptoms similar to carbon monoxide poisoning at an office building in northwest Miami-Dade Monday, authorities said.

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue workers and a hazmat team responded to the building at the Lennar Corporate Center at 700 Northwest 107th Avenue shortly before noon after people began complaining of nausea and headaches.

The building was evacuated and the people with symptoms were taken to nearby medical centers.

About 80 people were given the day off, told to go home while the building was searched.

"I was coming down the street on the other end. They told us to park across the street and come over and told us it's going to be another hour," employee Ryan Tompkins said.

Authorities are investigating the cause of the sicknesses. Many of the patients tested positive for carbon monoxide poisoning.

"The levels are still high but we managed to get it down through ventilation by introducing fresh air from the outside into the building," Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Chief Rogilio Vandamas said.

Check back with NBC 6 for updates.

Contact Us