A family of four and multiple pets are left without a home after an overnight fire in Miramar Thursday.
Carlos Perez, who has lived in the home with his family for nearly 20 years, tried to extinguish the blaze with a hose before fire rescue crews arrived. The incident happened on the 7900 block of Miramar Blvd around 1:30 a.m.
"It just hit me right now...look at the smoke," Perez said.
Perez said his family and five dogs were able to safely escape the home with no injuries. He added that he was overcome by smoke while flames engulfed the residence.
"I tried to run back in and was forced out by the heat and the smoke even though I threw myself on the floor trying to save my home," he said.
The Red Cross said their team has been responding to house fires in South Florida at an alarming rate.
In 2020, the organization responded to more than 631 house fires.
They say to check your smoke alarms on a monthly basis, change the batteries, and have an escape plan set in your household that evacuates everyone in less than two minutes.
Perez said that fire officials said it was an electrical fire. The home had been renovated just a few months ago.
This is a developing story and will be updated. Please check back for more updates.