SWAT Fatally Shoots Man Who Set Hollywood Home on Fire During Hours-Long Standoff

The Broward Sheriff's Office deputies and detectives responded at around 1 p.m. Wednesday to the 2700 block of Dewey Street to follow up on an investigation, officials said

NBC Universal, Inc.

A man who caused a 16-hour police standoff in Hollywood set a house on fire before he was shot and killed by a SWAT member early Thursday, authorities said.

The incident began when Broward Sheriff's Office detectives received information about a man making threats to kill multiple people.

Detectives found the man, identified as 36-year-old Matthew Hyde, and deputies responded to the home in the 2700 block of Dewey Street around 1 p.m. Wednesday.

When deputies tried to make contact with Hyde, he refused to leave the residence and threatened to hurt himself and others, officials said. He also made threats against law enforcement on social media, officials said.

Investigators negotiated with the man through the night, and BSO's SWAT team relieved Hollywood Police's SWAT team at one point Wednesday evening, officials said.

Neighbors were forced out of their homes and waited more than 16 hours to return, with some sleeping in their cars or on the ground until around 5:30 a.m.

“I finally just, I finally just laid down," resident Sally Khan said.

Early Thursday morning, a fire broke out at the home and fire rescue crews responded to put out the flames.

“I thought it was a very big fire, very dangerous. I was afraid the fire was gonna spread to other houses," said Amber Jack, who lives three doors down from the home where the incident unfolded.

Officials said Hyde set the house on fire and continued to refuse to surrender.

"For more than twelve hours investigators continually tried to deescalate the situation with non-lethal methods including a crisis negotiator who established contact with the subject," BSO officials said in a statement. "The subject proceeded to escalate the situation refusing to cooperate and becoming more combative throwing 'Molotov Cocktails' toward SWAT."

Hyde used the smoke as cover and fled from the house and into the backyard where he hid, officials said.

Early Thursday, officials said Hyde "aggressively came toward BSO SWAT members with a long pole using it like a spear."

One SWAT member opened fire, and Hyde was taken to a local hospital where he died from his injuries, officials said.

Family members said Hyde had been barricaded inside his grandmother's house.

"He owns the biggest heart ever to exist on this planet, ever," his girlfriend, Kaylor Green, said.

Loved ones said Hyde was an Army veteran with PTSD and struggled with his mental health.

"He said that he was done and that the system was broken," Green said. "And that every time he asked for help, no one would help him."

Hyde's cousin said issues had been building for him for a while. He'd threatened to take his own life on social media as recently as Wednesday.

Court records show Hyde's grandmother filed a complaint to try to remove him from the house in June, but it appeared it hadn't moved forward in court.

The cousin said the grandmother's home had been known for hosting birthday and holiday celebrations.

“It’s really heartbreaking," family member Stephanie Fernandez said. "It’s very sad that she has nothing left."

Green said she wants her boyfriend to be remembered for how he lived by helping others.

"Literally the day before this all happened, he saved a bird stuck in tar," Green said. "He saves bees, a whole colony of bees. He tries to help as many people as he can."

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is investigating the shooting. The SWAT officer who fired the fatal shot will be placed on administrative assignment while the incident is investigated, which is BSO policy.

If you or someone you know needs help, please contact the National Suicide Prevention hotline at 1-800-273-8255, or reach out to the Crisis Text Line by texting ‘Home’ to 741741, anytime.

Contact Us