What to Know
- Crews responded to the complex at 8011 Northwest 35th Court before 5 a.m. on Tuesday, battling the fire that started in a 2nd floor unit.
An early morning fire inside a Coral Springs apartment sent residents outside in the cold and has investigators working to find out if a heater designed to fight the dropping temperatures was the cause of the blaze.
Crews responded to the complex at 8011 Northwest 35th Court before 5 a.m. on Tuesday, battling the fire that started in a second floor apartment.
"I went to put my heat on because it was cold, and my kids were shivering, and I had three jackets on, and it was too cold," said owner Kim Forsythe.
Around 25 residents of surrounding apartments were evacuated as first responders worked to put it out.
"We smelled smoke, and I woke up my boyfriend, and he said there’s smoke upstairs so we get the kids out and I called 911," Forsythe added. "I opened up the door where the heater unit is and I saw the back wall glowing orange."
No injuries were reported and NW 35th Court was shut down as crews continued their cleanup efforts and investigation - as they were able to rescue a pair of bunny rabbits before it was too late.