NBC

FIU Officials Remain Silent on Bridge Collapse Details in First Meeting Since Tragedy

What to Know

  • Florida International University’s president and board of trustees met Thursday morning for the first time since the March 15th collapse.
  • The vow of silence could last a year or more if it continues throughout the investigation, leaving the public in the dark for now.

Florida International University’s president and board of trustees met Thursday morning for the first time since before their showcase pedestrian bridge collapsed last month, killing six people including one student.

That disaster was not on the agenda at the trustees retreat in Coral Gables, but the meeting did begin with a moment of silence in respect for those who died or were injured in the March 15th collapse.

It was followed by hours of silence on what has been the most trying and tragic event in the university’s history – a matter that President Mark Rosenberg and the university’s lawyer told NBC 6 Investigators could not legally come up during this retreat.

“There could be a point in time during the investigation that the NTSB begins to lift the shield, but between now and then, we’re cooperating the best way possible…and that is to be a party member to the investigation,” said the school’s general counsel, Carlos Castillo.

“We’re at the table with the NTSB and we’ve made the decision to do that precisely because we want to get to the bottom of what caused the bridge collapse," he added.

The vow of silence could last a year or more if it continues throughout the investigation, leaving the public in the dark for now about what FIU has learned about why the bridge collapsed.

FIU is expected to be named as a defendant in several cases from victims of the collapse – including the family of Alexa Duran, an 18-year-old freshman who was one of the victims.

Contact Us