Candle Sets Sleeping Woman's Hair Ablaze in Daytona Beach: Police

Authorities say a woman's shoulder-length hair caught fire after she fell asleep next to a simmering pot of potpourri.

Fire rescue spokeswoman Julie Maddux says the woman ``woke up with her hair on fire'' Tuesday morning.

Monica Perakis told The Daytona Beach News-Journal she wasn't feeling well and dozed off while sitting on the couch. She had potpourri nearby with a candle burning beneath it.

Authorities say the couch caught fire. When Perakis woke up, she ran to the kitchen and put water on her hair. It was still intact, just singed. She called 911 after trying to douse the fire.

Maddux says the fire detectors in the home were not working.

Perakis did not require medical treatment.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us