U.S Navy and Coast Guard ships sailed into South Florida Monday as Fleet Week 2018 got underway at Port Everglades.
The USS Kearsage docked at the port under clear skies with navy officers standing at attention for the big welcome. The amphibious assault ship is the biggest attraction for the 28th annual Fleet Week at the port.
The Virginia-based ship carries 1,100 sailors and can hold another 2,000 Marines for a mission. Some say it's like an Uber, taking Marines wherever they need to go.
This week it's on display for lucky locals who snagged tickets for a tour on Tuesday.
"This year registration opened up and within 22 minutes all 8,400 slots were gone, so the ticket is hotter than Hamilton," said Mary Anne Gray, with Broward Navy Days.
Fleet Week isn't just about the community coming aboard, it's also about sailors and military members getting out into the community. After weeks at sea, they'll be land-bound, visiting schools, veterans and hospitals for a taste of what it's like to live in South Florida.
"We really feel like we're welcomed here, and that really means a lot to us that we can come here and everyone is so warm and welcoming, it makes us feel like we're right at home," said Lt. Jill Brown.
Here are some of the events happening this week:
- Tuesday, May 1: Media Day aboard USS Kearsarge, USS Detroit - (10 a.m.) Port Everglades
- Tuesday, May 1: Damage Control Olympics - (8:00 a.m. – 4 p.m.) Port Everglades
- Tuesday, May 1: Salute To Veterans - (10:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.) Independence Hall, Wilton Manors
- Tuesday, May 1: Fleet Week Night at Miami Marlins – (7 p.m. – 10 p.m.) Marlins Park, Miami
- Wednesday, May 2: Celebrity Chef Luncheon - (noon – 2 p.m.) Aboard ships, Port Everglades
- Wednesday, May 2: Technology Summit – (2 - 5 p.m.) Port Everglades Power Plant (on the port)
- Wednesday, May 2: Dolphins Training Camp visit – (3-5 p.m.) Doctor’s Hospital Training Camp, Davie
- Wednesday, May 2: Marine Simulator – (4:30 - 6 p.m.) Resolve Maritime Academy, Fort Lauderdale
- Thursday, May 3: Salute To Women in the Military - (10:30 a.m. – 2 p.m.) Lauderdale Yacht Club
- Thursday, May 3: Fleet Week STEM Presentation – (5:30-7:30 p.m.) Museum of Discovery and Science
- Friday, May 4: Military Employer Recognition Breakfast – (7:30 a.m.) Riverside Hotel, Ft. Lauderdale
- Saturday, May 5: French Legion of Honor Ceremony - (10 a.m.), aboard USS Kearsarge, Port Everglades
- Sunday: May 6: Ship Departures – (8 a.m. - noon) Port Everglades