Florida Memorial University Student Says She Was Attacked in Dorm

Kameron Moore, 19, says she was attacked by a group of girls in her dorm.

A Florida Memorial University freshman who said she was attacked by fellow students said she is not sure if she wants continue her studies on the Miami Gardens campus.

"I feel like I'm going to be, like, bullied when I go back, and, I feel like they're not going to do anything to the girls," Kameron Moore told NBC 6.

The 19-year-old said she is still nursing bite wounds to her face, swelling in her arms, and regret on her mind.

"If I could, I would've never went into that room," she said

Moore walked into a room at the Florida Memorial freshman dorms where she said as many as five female classmates beat her up Tuesday night.

Looking back, she wondered if she was set up.

"One of the girls called me, she was like, 'Come to my room,'" Moore said.

Moore showed up at the room, where she was confronted by the group of girls.

"They threw liquid in my face, they dragged me in the room by my hair, and started beating on me and stuff, and I was trying to fight them back," she said.

Moore said she remembers other girls watching the fight, and using their cell phones to record every kick, punch, and hit.

After that fight died down, she said she was dragged into another one at a nearby room with the same girls. Then, Moore said, she got away, and found a security guard who broke up the fight and later tracked down two of her alleged attackers.

Florida Memorial released a statement Wednesday that read in part:

"The administration, faculty and staff are deeply concerned about the recent allegations involving student harassment on the campus of Florida Memorial University. The safety and welfare of our entire student body is a top concern and priority, and we will resolve this issue.

The President’s Cabinet, the Director of Housing, and the Director of Public Safety are working diligently to conduct a complete and thorough investigation to obtain factual information on the related incident. This includes meeting with and obtaining information from all parties involved.

Furthermore, the University is cooperating fully with the City of Miami Gardens’ Police Department to ensure a clear and transparent process for all parties involved."

Moore also filed a report with the Miami Gardens Police, and in a statement, Detective Michael Wright responded saying, "There is an open investigation into what happened. No one has been detained."

Though Moore's mother, LaFaye McDuffey, came to FMU and got her to Jackson Memorial, she told us, she is still in disbelief.

"I just couldn't believe it, not on a college campus. Not where they say they have security, they have a dorm mother," McDuffey explained.

Looking back, Moore believes she was jumped for complaining to her dorm mother about her roommate whom, Moore said, let people trash her room, a room she has no plans to live in again.

Contact Us