Fort Lauderdale

Funeral Services Held For Couple Killed in Martin County by Teen Accused of Eating Victim's Face

Friends and family of the two people killed by a 19-year-old college student accused of eating the face of one victim Monday night said their final goodbyes Friday.

Funeral services were held in Fort Lauderdale for Michelle Mishcon, 53, and husband John Stevens III, 59. The two were killed outside their home in Tequesta by 19-year-old Austin Harrouff, according to investigators.

Harrouff, who was home for the summer from Florida State University, is alleged to have stabbed and attacked the couple after walking out of a restaurant following an argument with his parents. After killing the husband and wife, he stabbed a neighbor, 47-year-old Jeff Fisher, who had come over to help after hearing screams, investigators said.

Fisher told deputies Mishcon and her 59-year-old husband John Stevens III were still alive when he got there Monday night. But Martin County Sheriff’s officials say they were dead by the time deputies arrived and found Austin Harrouff on top of Stevens, biting his face.

Fisher ran home after being stabbed several times. He was rushed to the hospital and was released Thursday. Harrouff remains hospitalized in stable but critical condition.

Martin County Sheriff’s officials say Harrouff will be charged with multiple counts, including first degree murder for the deaths of both Mishcon and Stevens, once he is released. They said they will ask for the death penalty in any future case.

Harrouff also will be charged with attempted first-degree murder in the stabbing of Fisher, according to a statement from Trisha Kukuvka, a spokeswoman for Martin County Sheriff William Snyder. He'll also be charged with burglary, the statement said. That's because he's accused of entering private property to initiate the attack.

Harrouff's parents, Wade and Mina Harrouff, issued a statement Friday expressing their condolences to the Stevens family and their apologies to Fisher "for the pain and suffering caused by Austin."

"There are no words we can offer to give any real comfort for this tragic loss," the statement says. "We love our son and know that he is not the person some are making him out to be."

A surveillance video released Friday, shows Harrouff walking calmly as he leaves Duffy's restaurant in nearby Jupiter about 45 minutes before the attack. Snyder has said Harrouff left in apparent anger after an argument with his father at their table. But in the video, he seems calm as he passes other diners and a waiter on the way out.

Attorney Robert Watson, who said he's representing Harrouff, told TC Palm that the student's parents saw "indications of odd and unusual behavior" in him recently, but he declined to elaborate on possible mental health issues. He declined further comment to The Associated Press on Friday.

Toxicology results are still pending, though officials have said there has been no confirmation of Flakka in his system as of yet.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us