Kids Become Ill After Taking Pills at Kinloch Park Middle School in Miami

8 students taken to local hospitals after ingesting unknown pills

A group of students at Kinloch Park Middle School in Miami became ill Tuesday morning after they took some pills, officials said.

Miami Fire Rescue crews responded to the school at 4340 Northwest 3rd Street after the kids ingested some unknown pills, officials said.

Eleven students took the pills and eight of those were taken to local hospitals, officials said. The other three students were placed in the care of their parents.

The students were showing symptoms of tiredness and not feeling well, officials said.

Officials said one student brought the pills and gave them to the other students. All of the students are between 10 and 14 years old. One student said he was told the pills were Xanax.

"This appears to be an isolated incident. I believe the student will learn from this incident," said Daisy Gonzalez-Diego, with Miami-Dade County Public Schools. "Again, several students had to be transported by a bad decision that was made. And again the importance of speaking to children about the importance of not ingesting a thing that you are not familiar with."

The school board said the 12-year-old female student who brought the pills will be disciplined.

Contact Us