Man Choked to Death After Roach-Eating Contest: Autopsy

Edward Archbold of West Palm Beach died after downing dozens of live roaches during a contest

An autopsy has concluded that a West Palm Beach man, who died after winning a roach-eating contest, choked to death.

The report released Monday says 32-year-old Edward Archbold of West Palm Beach died as a result of "asphyxia due to choking and aspiration of gastric contents."

"Laboratory testing for lethal intoxicating substances, stigmata of anaphylazis, or metabolic derangements were negative," the Broward Medical Examiner's Office said in a statement.

The death has been ruled an accident.

Archbold had eaten 26 bugs, mostly discoid roaches, on his way to winning the contest in October at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach. The grand prize was a female ivory ball python, which sells for about $1,000.After the contest was over, Archbold wasn't feeling well and began to vomit after eating dozens of roaches and worms, the Broward Sheriff's Office said.

He later collapsed a few stores down from the reptile shop.

He was pronounced dead at Broward Health North, the Broward Sheriff’s Office said.

Authorities said none of the other contestants became ill.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us