A man has died from his injuries after the boarded up home he was sleeping in caught fire overnight Wednesday in North Miami Beach.
The victim was taken to the hospital in serious condition after the fire ripped through a boarded up home around 2:30 a.m. at 1136 Northeast 165th Street in North Miami Beach.
Neighbors tell NBC 6 South Florida that the house was unoccupied and that the man should not have been inside. The man was in the house sleeping at the time the fire broke out.
Crews had to wait outside for a time because the house is boarded up, creating contained conditions in which fires intensify and become unbearably hot as there are fewer places for heat to escape.
Crews pulled the man from the fire and immediately performed CPR but were unable to resuscitate him at the scene. He was transported to Jackson North to be treated for his injuries, including smoke inhalation.
The man died on Thursday as a result of injuries suffered in that fire.
Crews remained on the scene Wednesday digging with shovels into the house and garage to prevent any sparks or flareups.
Officials with the North Miami Beach Police Department say the fire appears to be accidental in nature.
The house was boarded up at the time over unpaid taxes.
Police say they have notified the man's next of kin with the news of his passing.