Man Rescued From Balcony During Allapattah Apartment Fire

Family of six displaced by early morning fire

NBCUniversal Media, LLC

A man was rescued from his smoke-engulfed balcony during an apartment fire in Allapattah Friday morning, authorities said.

The fire, which occurred at an apartment building in the 2400 block of Northwest 26th Street, displaced a family of six, according to Miami Fire Rescue.

The family -- including four children -- were able to safely exit the building. No injuries were reported.

Images showed the dilapidated interior of the apartment complex following the blaze.

A woman who lives in the home said the fire started in their kitchen. She said she was cooking when all the sudden something on the stove burst into flames.

Miami Fire Rescue responded to the home and found a man on the second floor balcony.

'We had a victim that was waving us down from the second floor balcony because the smoke from the apartment fire had come to his apartment and he could not make it out," Fire Rescue Lt. Pete Sanchez said.

The man was quickly brought to safety.

"We actually saved a life today so that’s a great thing but unfortunately a family is losing their home for an undetermined amount of time so that’s the sad part, its a bittersweet day for us," Sanchez said.

The Red Cross was called to assist the family displaced by the fire.

No other information was immediately available.

This is a developing story and will be updated. Please check back for updates.

Contact Us