The man who attacked his now ex-wife during a divorce hearing last year was denied a motion Friday to reduce potential jail time and was sentenced to 15 years in prison.
Paul Henry Gonzalez left his former wife with a broken nose and jaw during the courtroom attack.
"She had this big knot on her forehead," said court worker Elana Allen. "She was bleeding from her forehead. She was bleeding from her nose. Her ear could have been bleeding. The blood was all over her face."
A judge denied setting aside the minimum prison sentence for Gonzalez. He entered a plea of no contest to a charge of aggravated battery.
Catherine Scott, Gonzalez's ex-wife, took the stand Friday and told the courtroom that she had seen a pattern of violence from Gonzalez during their relationship.
"He actually dragged me by my hair across the room –of the living room—then he picked me up and physically threw me out of the front door," said Scott.
Scott said she was stalked and even abused during her pregnancy.
"I got in his way, and he met me and pushed me into the drywall," Scott said.
Gonzalez contends the alleged attack he was officially charged with was an isolated incident, but prosecutors attempted to show that there was a history of violence.
Gonzalez's ex-wife said he abused her a minimum of 35 times.
"He became so irate that he started throwing all of my belongings, and I went into the bathroom to protect myself because I was afraid he was going to hurt me," Scott said.